Is tap Water Bad For You and Your Health
| Robin Collins
Tap water is water that has been treated by a water utility to remove impurities and make it safe to drink. Most people in the United States get their tap water from one of three sources: surface water, groundwater, or a public water system.
Surface water comes from rivers, lakes, and reservoirs. Groundwater comes from underground aquifers. A public water system is a water supply that is owned and operated by a state, local, or tribal government.
The quality of tap water in the United States is generally high. However, there are occasional problems. Some contaminants, such as lead, can get into tap water when the water comes into contact with lead pipes or lead solder in old plumbing. Lead can cause serious health problems if it is ingested in large quantities.
Also, read our detailed guide about Does Tap Water Have Chlorine
What Type of Contaminants Present in Tap Water?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of the United States, tap water may contain small amounts of contaminants. But if the contaminants are present in water, then that doesn’t necessarily mean that the water you are drinking poses any health risk to your body.
Some of the most commonly found contaminants in tap water are as follows:
Chlorine: Chlorine is often added to tap water as a disinfectant. However, it can also be a respiratory irritant and has been linked to cancer.
2. Fluoride: Fluoride is added to tap water in some areas in order to help prevent tooth decay. However, too much fluoride can be harmful to your health and has been linked to bone cancer.
3. Lead: Lead can enter tap water through old pipes that contain lead. Lead is a neurotoxin and can be harmful to your health, especially if you are exposed to it over a long period of time.
4. Arsenic: Arsenic can be found in tap water in some areas. It is a carcinogen and can be harmful to your health.
5. Trihalomethanes: Trihalomethanes are a group of chemicals that are formed when water is chlorinated. They can lead to cancer and other health problems.
6. Volatile Organic Chemicals: Volatile organic chemicals are a group of chemicals that can be found in tap water. They can be harmful to your health and have been linked to cancer.
7. Nitrates: Nitrates can be found in tap water in some areas. They can be harmful to your health and have been linked to cancer.
8. Pathogens: Pathogens are microorganisms that can cause disease. They can be found in tap water in some areas and can be harmful to your health.
It is important to remember that not all tap water is contaminated. However, it is important to be aware of the potential contaminants that may be present in your tap water.
Is tap water bad for your health?
Some people think that tap water is safe, while others think that it is not. There are a few studies that have been conducted on the safety of drinking tap water.
One study, which was conducted in the United States, found that there are a number of contaminants in tap water that can be harmful to your health. These contaminants include lead, chlorine, and fluoride.
So, is tap water bad for your health? The answer is yes and no. While there are some contaminants in tap water that can be harmful, the levels of these contaminants are typically low. However, if you are concerned about your health, you may want to consider drinking filtered or bottled water.
Alternatives To Tap Water:
The demand for safer, and healthier drinking water has grown tremendously over the last decade. That’s why, there are a number of companies like Frizzlife offering the best products and services to both residential & commercial consumers in the United States.
So, without wasting any time – let’s take a look at some of the best alternatives to tap water.
There are many alternatives to tap water that can be just as healthy for you, if not more so. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Spring water – This type of water is typically very pure and contains minerals that can be beneficial for your health.
2. Filtered water – Filtering your own water at home can remove impurities and improve the taste.
3. Distilled water – Distillation is a process that removes impurities from water, making it even safer to drink.
4. Bottled water – Some bottled waters are very high quality and can be a good alternative to tap water.
5. Water from a reverse osmosis system – A reverse osmosis water filtration system can remove even more impurities from water, making it extremely pure.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is in tap water that could be harmful?
There are a variety of potential contaminants that can be found in tap water, including metals like lead and copper, chlorine, fluoride, and other chemicals.
Can these contaminants cause health problems?
Yes, some of these contaminants can cause health problems if you are exposed to them in high enough concentrations. For example, lead can cause neurological problems, and chlorine can cause irritation of the skin and eyes.
Is tap water regulated to ensure that it is safe to drink?
Yes, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates tap water quality and sets standards for the levels of contaminants that are allowed. However, it is important to note that these standards are not always strictly enforced, and water quality can vary depending on where you live.
Should I avoid drinking tap water?
That is up to you. Some people choose to drink only filtered or distilled water to be on the safe side, while others are not concerned about the potential risks and continue to drink tap water. If you are concerned about the quality of your tap water, you can have it tested by a qualified professional.
At the end of the day, the decision of whether or not to drink tap water is a personal one. There is no right or wrong answer, and you should do what makes you feel comfortable. If you are concerned about the safety of your tap water, you can have it tested or drink only filtered or distilled water.